Monday, August 25, 2014

Entering Into A New Season

After 2 1/2 years of staffing DTS, I'm excited to announce that I will be entering into a different season of life!

For most of my life, I have been fascinated with the medical field.  In the past, I have tried various ways of entering the field, but doors always seemed to close.  I had basically given up on it and figured it was something that would just never happen.  Meanwhile, I'd fallen in love with going to the nations & sharing Jesus with people.

In the middle of the last school I staffed, I felt that the season for staffing schools was coming to an end, at least for now.  However, I didn't know what I would do when the school ended.  This last year had been a challenging one in many ways, and I'd found myself not knowing what I wanted to do anymore or what I was passionate about.

After talking with a pastor I respect very much, he encouraged me to pursue the medical dream and see if there might be something there.  YWAM has a training program called Intro to Primary Health Care. Medical + Missions = Genius!  I would still be able to go to other nations & share about Jesus, but would also be able to take needed primary health care.

So I applied to the program in Kona & was accepted! The program teaches you basic health care-- anatomy, physiology, how to take vitals, how to diagnose & treat things like malnutrition, dehydration, parasites, wound care, emergency child birthing, medication administration, basic first aid & managing other medical emergencies--all in a third-world nation.

I will be spending 3 months learning how to do all this, then will go into a third-world nation to provide basic health care for people who would otherwise be unable to receive it or pay for it.  Amazing!  Plus, this is the perfect way to open the door to people's hearts...we help take care of their physical needs and while doing so, can introduce them to the God who loves them so much & is the ultimate Physician!

I am so looking forward to this!  I will begin training on Sept. 25th.  It's been a while since I've been a student, but I think it will be a good change for me.  You're supposed to never stop learning, right? :)

While it's exciting, it's also going to take a miracle!  I do have to pay for the training, so I'm going to need some serious provision from the Lord.  I am blessed to have received a discount because of the time I have staffed, so the course is only $1020!  While it is only 20% of the original cost, it's still money I do not currently have.  Plus, I still need the money for a ticket to Kona (I came to the mainland during the summer to spend some time with family).  So I'm looking at needing around $375-ish for a plane ticket, $1020 for the training part, and when it comes time for the outreach, probably around $5000 depending on plane tickets (it's expensive to fly from a rock in the middle of an ocean!).  I'm looking at needing a $6400 miracle of provision.  Will you join me in praying for His provision?  I believe God can totally provide this!

I've heard that if you want to see miracles, you have to be in need of them.  So I'm looking forward to sharing with you about a miracle soon!  :)  Let me know if you'd like to be a part of this miracle by giving financially.

I'm not really sure what will come after the training, but I'm excited to try it out and see what God may have for me.

No comments: