When I was involved in missions a few years ago, it started much differently than this time around. I had a few months to prepare and I was able to build up a strong support base of people who were a part by financial giving and/or prayer. This time I didn't have that luxury. I found out I was leaving to join YWAM again with only 3 weeks notice, and nearly half of that time what spent out of country because I was leading a team from my church to Chile.
As most people would be, I was concerned about where my money would come from. How would I pay my staff fees? My other monthly bills? How would I buy things like shampoo, detergent, etc? When I was in Chile, another YWAMer shared a word and a picture with me that basically said God was going to take care of me and I was going to flourish, but it wouldn't look like it normally has...it would be different this time.
Well, aside from 3 long-time supporters who have committed to monthly giving, I have no idea where 90% of my income will come from each month. It definitely looks different this time. I know that I am supposed to be here, doing what I'm doing. My heart comes alive by being able to pour into our students day & night, discipling them, and then going into the nations. I know that God called me here. I also know that God is faithful. He is a good Father who takes care of His children. He wants us to live in utter dependence on Him, in every area of our lives.
I admit, I had gotten comfortable with my steady paycheck. I wasn't rolling in the dough, but I had enough to pay bills, pay off debt, and enjoy the occasional Starbucks or new shirt. I was comfortable. I know that all money comes from God, but I can't say that I was dependent on Him to provide it. I expected it from my employer and didn't doubt its coming every two weeks. It's not so easy now.
I have no idea where money is coming from each month, yet somehow it comes. I'm learning to be more dependent on God, to ask my Father to meet my needs, and He has been faithful. Even if it means money arrives the day something is due, it somehow arrives. God knows my need, and I think He takes joy in seeing my elation over His provision. He wants us to live by faith, trusting in Him for everything we need, to not try to control and do everything on our own. So I'm learning, again, to be living by faith and trust Him to come through each time. And He does it. It's often not in my timing and seems like it's at the last minute, but He does it in just the right time.
God is a faithful provider. Are you living by faith, in dependence on Him? What would that look like in your life? Obviously not everyone is called to be a missionary, but it looks different for everyone. Are you taking things for granted or even taking glory yourself and not giving God credit in your life? How may He be calling you to live more by faith? Just something to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment