At the beginning of my time here, I told you about one of my international students students. Cindie met the Lord for the first time, here in Kona. The last three months have been a process of her learning what it means to be a follower of Jesus. It hasn't been easy for her, nor for me.
Cindie is a recovering heroine addict and is currently on a rehab program. Her father was an alcoholic who was abusive and died when she was a teenager. Her mother abandoned her & her siblings, so she has a different view of family, marriage, and has never experienced love within her family. She is French and as is typical of that culture, tends to be more cynical than trusting, she has a problem with authority, and wants to do what she wants when she wants. A few weeks ago, she and I even had a run in because I called her out on some things that she was doing and she didn't want to listen, or to have to submit to authority. So we went for nearly a week with her giving me the silent treatment. Oh, and she also comes out of an occult background. She pretty much has everything going against her.
All along though, I felt like the Lord was telling me to love her and extend grace. This is hard for me, but He has been teaching me how to do so. Normally, when students doesn't show up in class, are smoking, and downright rebellious, they are asked to leave the school. However we saw glimpses of improvement in Cindie, and saw her earnestly desiring to know who God was.
There has been a battle over Cindie's heart & mind. It has been an incredible 3 months, but I can honestly say that Cindie is a different person. She is joyful, she is hopeful, she loves the Lord and is loving people. She has even prophesied over people and continues to give encouraging words from the Lord that are right on. She will write me little notes in class that just say "I love you xoxo," she will give me real hugs and not just stand there stiff when I try to hug her. Yesterday she was baptized and then last night was baptized in the Holy Spirit. She is a completely different person because she met the Lord Jesus. She even looks differently.
She makes what I do worth it. Her meeting Jesus, turning her life around and following him is my paycheck. She will not be going on outreach with me because she and I both felt she wasn't ready for that yet, but will be returning to France to change her nation for Jesus. And she is just the person to do it. I love her.
Cindie is a recovering heroine addict and is currently on a rehab program. Her father was an alcoholic who was abusive and died when she was a teenager. Her mother abandoned her & her siblings, so she has a different view of family, marriage, and has never experienced love within her family. She is French and as is typical of that culture, tends to be more cynical than trusting, she has a problem with authority, and wants to do what she wants when she wants. A few weeks ago, she and I even had a run in because I called her out on some things that she was doing and she didn't want to listen, or to have to submit to authority. So we went for nearly a week with her giving me the silent treatment. Oh, and she also comes out of an occult background. She pretty much has everything going against her.
All along though, I felt like the Lord was telling me to love her and extend grace. This is hard for me, but He has been teaching me how to do so. Normally, when students doesn't show up in class, are smoking, and downright rebellious, they are asked to leave the school. However we saw glimpses of improvement in Cindie, and saw her earnestly desiring to know who God was.
There has been a battle over Cindie's heart & mind. It has been an incredible 3 months, but I can honestly say that Cindie is a different person. She is joyful, she is hopeful, she loves the Lord and is loving people. She has even prophesied over people and continues to give encouraging words from the Lord that are right on. She will write me little notes in class that just say "I love you xoxo," she will give me real hugs and not just stand there stiff when I try to hug her. Yesterday she was baptized and then last night was baptized in the Holy Spirit. She is a completely different person because she met the Lord Jesus. She even looks differently.
She makes what I do worth it. Her meeting Jesus, turning her life around and following him is my paycheck. She will not be going on outreach with me because she and I both felt she wasn't ready for that yet, but will be returning to France to change her nation for Jesus. And she is just the person to do it. I love her.
No comments:
Post a Comment