Friday, August 7, 2015

Week 1 completed!

I have been here for a week now.  It's so strange to me that I am living in Amsterdam.  I was given this first week to rest and try to get over jet-lag, so I've been able to take it pretty easy.  It's good because I find myself so tired from about 9 am - 3 or 4pm and then totally awake from then on...which if you put that in California time, it's 12am - 6 or 7 am...so that explains it.  I'm hoping in the next day or two to finally be adjusted, but we'll see.

Having this free time, I've been able to explore the city around me and figure out which grocery store to go to, who has what, the best prices, and just take in the beauty around me, as well as getting the things needed for my little room.  I've learned  how to use the buses and trams a bit better, and have walked a ton!  I still need to get a bike, as that's the main mode of transportation for the Dutch, and I can understand why.  It's so much easier & faster than walking everywhere!

I'm living in one of YWAM's buildings here in the city.  I have my own little room, and share the bathroom & kitchen with others.  I live on the 3rd/4th floor, so I climb lots of stairs everyday!  (Floor explanation- In America, the 1st floor is the level you walk in on from the street, and then it goes up from there.  So Americans would consider me to live on the 4th floor.  In Europe, the level you walk in on is called Ground Level, and the next level would be 1st, and so on.  So to Europeans, I live on the 3rd floor.)  Either way, it's lots of stairs!  :)

I'm still meeting new YWAMers everyday, and I'm excited to build friendships and get started in ministry.  Hopefully soon!

Here's just a few pics of my neighborhood.

this is the bridge I walk across to get to the grocery store, on the side of that church
my cute neighborhood...I live in the big building on the left, behind the trees

this is the canal in front of my building

just a typical site in Amsterdam


No comments: