I love discipleship. I love being able to speak truth into young people's lives, call out the junk, and walk with them as they are learning to be more like Jesus. I believe discipleship happens from doing life together, and that is what I am so blessed to be able to do right now. While it can be a complete joy, it can also be a challenge.
In a previous post, I mentioned a girl who gave her life to the Lord in the first week she was here. As I've gotten to know this young woman, I discovered a lot about her past. She's been through a lot. Her father died, her mother gave her and her siblings up to the foster care system, she is going through drug rehab, and a close relative used to do witchcraft on her when she was younger. The girl has a lot of junk attached to her.
From the beginning she has struggled with the language, as her English is not that good. Plus when you add in all the "Christianese" we use, it gets really confusing to someone who has not grown up in the church. She came here looking for hope, looking for a better life, and hoping that God was the answer. Those of us who have a personal relationship with Jesus, know that He is the answer, and she is beginning to see that, but it's a slow process. She has struggled a lot with whether or not YWAM is a cult, with withdrawals, and quite honestly, a rebellious spirit that causes her to want to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. There is a real issue with authority, and therefore me because I represent authority in her life. This has been my challenge.
She is in my small group, and I meet with her one-on-one once a week, and it's my responsibility to make sure she is in class, shows up to work duty, and shows up anywhere else the students are supposed to be, and if she doesn't, to call her out on it and get to the bottom of why she isn't coming. I am a very black & white person, follow the rules, no grace. I have high standards for myself and I expect others to have high standards as well. This is my struggle. I have a hard time extending grace to myself & others, but have been working on it.
Well, this girl who doesn't like to be told what to do, or where to go, has been exercising her "right" to do what she wants. Oh that frustrates me. How hard is it to just follow the rules and be where you're supposed to be? This is an intense discipleship school and there are requirements. My first inclination is to say, look, these are the rules, follow them or leave. But I know that's not always the best way to handle things. When I've prayed about how I should handle it, I believe God has been saying, "love her. Don't worry about the rules so much, and love her. Extend grace." I also know he told me to "contend for her." There is a battle going on over her life, and she needs help fighting it. I have been praying for her so much, and just trying to love her, disciple her, and help her try to figure out how to engage in what we are doing, and how to really live your life for Jesus. While she accepted Him into her life, he doesn't have lordship. Things are still completely on her terms.
But God is so faithful. He is gentle and patient, slowly wooing her to himself, as He does with each of us-meeting us in ways that we understand. Each week we are seeing little breakthroughs, and it's exciting & encouraging to me. This week's teaching was called Pure Heart, and each day had different topics- Father Wounds, Mother Wounds, Confession & Repentance, True Femininity, True Masculinity, and Forgiveness. There were a lot of tears this week, but also a lot of healing. After class today, one of the speakers went to talk with & pray with the girl . I received word from my school leader that there was great breakthrough, she was filled with the Holy Spirit and prayed in tongues! This is AMAZING!! I know speaking in tongues is a controversial topic, but I don't care. I believe it happens and it still an active gift today. And I'm so incredibly excited that this young woman has had an encounter with the Living God. This is life-changing for her! I'm so excited!!! There is breakthrough, and with breakthrough comes healing & freedom like only Jesus can give.
And this is why I do what I do. I love seeing people meet Jesus and be forever changed from it. I love seeing people discover who God is and what He thinks of us & who he made us to be. I know things are still going to be challenging at times, but it's a step in the right direction.
Thank you Lord for letting me a part of changing lives! And thank YOU for your support & prayers, for believing in me to disciple others to know and be like Jesus.
In a previous post, I mentioned a girl who gave her life to the Lord in the first week she was here. As I've gotten to know this young woman, I discovered a lot about her past. She's been through a lot. Her father died, her mother gave her and her siblings up to the foster care system, she is going through drug rehab, and a close relative used to do witchcraft on her when she was younger. The girl has a lot of junk attached to her.
From the beginning she has struggled with the language, as her English is not that good. Plus when you add in all the "Christianese" we use, it gets really confusing to someone who has not grown up in the church. She came here looking for hope, looking for a better life, and hoping that God was the answer. Those of us who have a personal relationship with Jesus, know that He is the answer, and she is beginning to see that, but it's a slow process. She has struggled a lot with whether or not YWAM is a cult, with withdrawals, and quite honestly, a rebellious spirit that causes her to want to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. There is a real issue with authority, and therefore me because I represent authority in her life. This has been my challenge.
She is in my small group, and I meet with her one-on-one once a week, and it's my responsibility to make sure she is in class, shows up to work duty, and shows up anywhere else the students are supposed to be, and if she doesn't, to call her out on it and get to the bottom of why she isn't coming. I am a very black & white person, follow the rules, no grace. I have high standards for myself and I expect others to have high standards as well. This is my struggle. I have a hard time extending grace to myself & others, but have been working on it.
Well, this girl who doesn't like to be told what to do, or where to go, has been exercising her "right" to do what she wants. Oh that frustrates me. How hard is it to just follow the rules and be where you're supposed to be? This is an intense discipleship school and there are requirements. My first inclination is to say, look, these are the rules, follow them or leave. But I know that's not always the best way to handle things. When I've prayed about how I should handle it, I believe God has been saying, "love her. Don't worry about the rules so much, and love her. Extend grace." I also know he told me to "contend for her." There is a battle going on over her life, and she needs help fighting it. I have been praying for her so much, and just trying to love her, disciple her, and help her try to figure out how to engage in what we are doing, and how to really live your life for Jesus. While she accepted Him into her life, he doesn't have lordship. Things are still completely on her terms.
But God is so faithful. He is gentle and patient, slowly wooing her to himself, as He does with each of us-meeting us in ways that we understand. Each week we are seeing little breakthroughs, and it's exciting & encouraging to me. This week's teaching was called Pure Heart, and each day had different topics- Father Wounds, Mother Wounds, Confession & Repentance, True Femininity, True Masculinity, and Forgiveness. There were a lot of tears this week, but also a lot of healing. After class today, one of the speakers went to talk with & pray with the girl . I received word from my school leader that there was great breakthrough, she was filled with the Holy Spirit and prayed in tongues! This is AMAZING!! I know speaking in tongues is a controversial topic, but I don't care. I believe it happens and it still an active gift today. And I'm so incredibly excited that this young woman has had an encounter with the Living God. This is life-changing for her! I'm so excited!!! There is breakthrough, and with breakthrough comes healing & freedom like only Jesus can give.
And this is why I do what I do. I love seeing people meet Jesus and be forever changed from it. I love seeing people discover who God is and what He thinks of us & who he made us to be. I know things are still going to be challenging at times, but it's a step in the right direction.
Thank you Lord for letting me a part of changing lives! And thank YOU for your support & prayers, for believing in me to disciple others to know and be like Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment